England Legend Bob Varney is interviewed about his experiences and history within the game of Subbuteo Table Soccer. The exclusive interview sees this famous player answer a series of questions which reveal everything from when he first flicked to his favourite food.
1. When did you first start playing?
2. Which was your first ever big tournament?
1974 Subbuteo World Cup Regional Qualifiers.
3. Which is the best tournament you have ever attended?
FISTF World Cup Bologna 2004..
4. What was the best goal you have ever scored?
On my debut for Real Murcia in 2002 in Barcelona at the Spanish Championships. I was losing 0-1 and equalised near the end with a long shot into the top corner. It ensured that Real Murcia won the match overall and the Spanish Championship.
5. Who would you describe as being the toughest player you have faced in England?
6. Who would you describe as being the toughest player you have faced in the World?
7. What has been the best match you have ever played in?
Drawing 2-2 with the great Renzo Frignani (Italy) at the FISTF World Cup in Bologna 2004 to ensure that I won the group.
8. What has been your best moment or achievement in the game?
Winning two Bronze medals at the FISTF World Cup in 2003 and 2005.
9. What has been the funniest moment you have seen on a trip away to a tournament?
My Flip Flop being thrown into a deep fat fryer after the FISTF 2005 World Cup in Belgium.
10. Which football team do you support?
11. What is your favourite food?
12. Do you have any other hobbies?
Yes. Triathlon. Cycling. Running. Swimming. Mountain Biking.Tennis.
13. What is your favourite holiday destination?
14. What is the best movie you have ever seen?
Don't have one
15. What is your favourite TV series?
Don't have one
16. Which person do you have most respect for in life?